“As part of Planet Ark’s National School Plant-a-Tree day on Friday 29th July, 2011, our Montessori Cycle Two class invited a number of guests to celebrate this day with us including:
- The Honourable Mr Geoff Wilson, the Member for Ferny Grove and the Health Minister of QLD;
- Mr Kent Eisling, the Faculty Director of Services and Environment, Grovely TAFE;
- Ms Lee Durkin, Grovely TAFE;
- Ms Jen Seevinck, our Artist in Residence at Grovely State School;
- Mrs Vicki Baker, the Principal of Grovely State School; and
- Parents and community members.
A number of children were tasked with greeting our invited guests, welcoming and opening our ceremony, introducing and thanking each of our guests, thanking the P and C for their donation of our tree, assisting Mr Wilson to plant our feature tree and finally extending an invitation to enjoy some light refreshments. The event was a great success. Thank you to those parents who: were able to provide a plate of food or were able to attend the ceremony, your support is always appreciated.
Miss Katrina Mills”
Photographs of the teachers and students efforts on this day are below. Minister Geoff Wilson also discusses the event on his website.
This event was also described to the whole school body on August 3, 2011. Our students were involved in writing the speeches which were subsequently rehearsed and presented by other students.
In (mostly 🙂 ) their own words:
“Good afternoon, Mrs Baker, Staff and Students, Ladies and Gentlemen. We would like to talk to you about our tree planting ceremony last Friday. Our class, Montessori Cycle Two invited: The Honourable Mr Geoff Wilson, the Member for Ferny Grove and the Health Minister of QLD; Mr Kent Eisling, the Faculty Director of Services and Environment, Grovely TAFE; Ms Lee Durkin, from Grovely TAFE; Ms Jen, our Artist in Residence at Grovely State School; Mrs Vicki Baker, the Principal of Grovely State School; and Parents and community members to attend…”
“The ceremony was held in conjunction with Planet Ark’s National Tree Day. Mr Wilson helped two of our class members to plant our feature tree. The tree is an Australian native Lilly Pilly which will provide beautiful flowers and berries, attract birds and provide shade. The tree has been planted in the left hand garden in front of G-PAC.We would like to thank the P & C for their donation of our featured tree.”
“Planet Ark’s focus for this year was … ‘Life is better with trees.’ We were asked why life was better with trees. These were some of our replies –
- Life is better with trees because we breathe out carbon dioxide and the leaves of the tree turn the carbon dioxide into oxygen for us to breathe.
- Life is better with trees because trees can produce fruit and we can make paper products and wooden furniture.Life is better with trees because they give us shade.
- Life is better with trees because they make oxygen.
“We would like to thank the Grovely TAFE for their generous donation of 50 native seedlings.”
“Mrs Baker, could you please accept this Certificate of Participation from Planet Ark on behalf of GrovelyStateSchool. Thank you.”
[Thank you to all these beautiful children and their inspiring teachers who worked so hard on-and for-this day – I saw it all! – Jen]